That makes so many professions irrelevant

< Previous | Next >

palabra86

Spanish
Can you please let me know if I have mistakes in the part in bold? I wanted to write "many professions unnecessary" but I didn't know if puting it this way it correct in English?

I think they (the cashiers) were swept away by a Tsunami. A tsunami is the concept used today to describe the disruptive innovation that makes so many professions irrelevant, and that is going to make the future of all of us, new and unknown.
(My text)

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I think you could use either "irrelevant" or "unnecessary", but "professions" is wrong. In ordinary English, "profession" refers to occupations that require a high level of education or training, such as lawyer, doctor or teacher. It would be unusual to use the term to refer to cashiers, and "jobs" or "occupations" would be better.

palabra86

Spanish
    I think you could use either "irrelevant" or "unnecessary", but "professions" is wrong. In ordinary English, "profession" refers to occupations that require a high level of education or training, such as lawyer, doctor or teacher. It would be unusual to use the term to refer to cashiers, and "jobs" or "occupations" would be better.
    I'm glad I came to ask here, thanks so much for this explaning :)

< Previous | Next >