That means, according to the laws of fairness, that I am now the Indianapolis 500 champion.

< Previous | Next >

yingmin

Mandarin Chinese
SAGAL: Thank you, everybody. Thank you all so much. We have a wonderful show for you today because later, we're going to be talking to Danica Patrick, the legendary racecar driver. She is the first woman to ever win an Indy car race, and now she is hosting a podcast. That means, according to the laws of fairness, that I am now the Indianapolis 500 champion.
(source: Who's Bill This Time)

Hi, everyone! :)
I wanted to ask you what is the laws of fairness. I searched it on the Internet but the answer didn't help.
My assumption is that there is no laws of fairness.
It's a made-up law, unlike the law of gravity, and people made it up for the benefit of making jokes.
So if someone won Nobel Prize for literature, and he/she is also working on a new book. I am also writing a new book. Can I say, "According to the laws of fairness, I am now a Nobel Prize winner." ?
Thank you for your help in advance.:)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Can I say, "According to the laws of fairness, I am now a Nobel Prize winner." ?
    No. Your idea of what "the laws of fairness" are is accurate - it means "if there were any fairness in the world, then..."

Peter Sagal is a comedian - it is not worthwhile explaining the joke. which is not particularly funny.

yingmin

Mandarin Chinese
    No. Your idea of what "the laws of fairness" are is accurate - it means "if there were any fairness in the world, then..."

Peter Sagal is a comedian - it is not worthwhile explaining the joke. which is not particularly funny.
    Thank you, PaulQ. :)
    But why can't I say that if my idea is right?
    It is an imitation of what Peter Sagal said.
    Is it because that the joke is not particularly funny?:confused:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    But why can't I say that if my idea is right?
    Because you are not a comedian. There is an implicit understanding between comedians and their audience that they (comedians) often play "word games" - their audiences are attuned to this. With non-native speakers, this understanding does not exist: the assumption is that the non-native speaker has made a mistake.

I think you now understand "the laws of fairness".

She has a blog and has won an Indy car race.
    Peter Sagal has a regular show on prime time TV (which is thousands of times better than a blog), therefore his must be the Indianapolis 500 champion (which is thousands of times better than winning one race.)

< Previous | Next >