'that now make up' [arrangement of sequence]

< Previous | Next >

roi13

Arabic
hello !
I have toefl test soon and I was practicing some samples , i came cross two questions and wasn't sure if there is a specific grammars rules for them

one of them is :

The first inhabitants of the territories............Canada came across the Bering
Strait and along the edge of the Arctic ice.

(A)make up that now
(B)make up now that
(C) that make up now
(D) that now make up​

- I guessed the answer is " D" but is there a special rule for it? or is it just matter of "what feels right " ?

Last edited:
  • Tazzler

American English
    You should post your second question in another thread. Also remember to make your titles meaningful (put the key words of your question in it).

"make up" is an inseparable phrasal verb in the sense "compose." Except for pronouns, a word cannot usually come between the two elements.

Mod note: Thanks, Tazzler. I have edited the title. Nat

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes D is correct.

The first inhabitants of the territories............Canada came across the Bering
    Strait and along the edge of the Arctic ice.

(A)make up that now - that now Canada is gibberish.
    (B)make up now that - this would meand that Canada came across the Bering Strait!
    (C) that make up now - this would mean that now was qualifying Canada - which can't be right.
    (D) that now make up :tick:

wandle

English - British
    Is there a special rule?
    (a) The relative pronoun 'that' (if used) must come at the beginning of its clause. (This is the house that Jack built.)
    (b) 'now' precedes its verb because it is being emphasised (alternatively: that make up Canada now).

< Previous | Next >