that nun should perish [that none should perish]

< Previous | Next >

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
Hi. Here's a joke excerpted from Reader's Digest:

My friend opened a ministry, using a snippet from the Bible as the name. But he soon regretted his decision to order office supplies over the phone. When his stationery arrived, it bore the letterhead " That Nun Should Perish."

I know every word, but I can't understand what exactly the whole passage means. Could anyone explain it to me? Thanks for help.

• Biffo

English - England
    It is a mistake based on a common mis-quote from the Bible* "...that none should perish..." which is often used as a motto by evangelical Christians.

The printer of the stationery has mistaken 'none' for 'nun' during the phone conversation. (They sound identical in many versions of English)

*I haven't found the Bible passage yet, but I found this -

That None Should Perish - by Ron Graham
    http://www.raptureready.com/featured/graham/g53.html

EDITED for accuracy and clarity

Last edited:

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    It is a mistake based on a common mis-quote from the Bible* "...that none should perish..." which is sometimes used as a motto for benevolent societies and similar.

The printer of the stationery has mistaken 'none' for 'nun' during the phone conversation.

*I haven't found the correct version yet, but I found this -

That None Should Perish - by Ron Graham
    http://www.raptureready.com/featured/graham/g53.html
    I got it, thanks, very amusing.

Biffo

English - England
    I got it, thanks, very amusing.
    You're welcome and I found the original:

2 Peter 3:9 (KJV) | In Context | Whole Chapter
    9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

The evangelical idea is that everyone in the world should be converted to the Faith so that they all repent and thus are saved (do not perish).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >