that peace, harmony, and beauty may reign supreme

passengerman

chinese
Hi all;

Is the bold phrase an independent clause here ?

Nature, like a loving mother, is ever trying to keep land and sea, mountain and valley, each in its place to hush the angry winds and waves, balance the extremes of heat and cold, of rain and drought, that peace, harmony, and beauty may reign supreme.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I may have had one glass too many, but the bold phrase sounds to me like an adverbial clause of purpose, apparently in the subjuncitve mood, but maybe really the short form of 'so that....' :) :confused:

boozer

Bulgarian
    Well, could we not? You are the one who quoted the example. I personally could, when in an 'archaic' or highly literary or biblical mood. :)

siares

Slovak
    Dear all,
    this is a question about using ,that' in place of 'so that':
    in Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio:
    ...the girl wished to go with her husband to flee the plague and the poet begged her to stay in Avignon, that they might die in each other's arms.
    could we use "so that" without "so"
    Well, could we not? You are the one who quoted the example. I personally could, when in an 'archaic' or highly literary or biblical mood.
    So that can be use in two different ways:
    1) To express purpose (in order to): "so that the arm would be longer and I would then have more movement..."
    2) To express result: "so that the arm is [now] longer and I have more movement..." OR
    "so that the arm was longer and I had more movement...."
    In other threads, all the examples were of desirable outcomes. Here, the death is not wished for, but in case it comes, its preferred version is described.
    Question:
    1) Do I leave out 'so' in the circumstance where I do not wish for the result (or is it just when I am in archaic mood?)
    2) How does the sentence sound with a full 'so that'?
    the poet begged her to stay in Avignon, so that they might die in each other's arms.

Thank you

Loob

English UK
    Hello siares

I would always use "so that" rather than plain "that" myself.

Plain "that" sounds Biblical - by which I mean it sounds like the language of the King James Bible (which dates from 1611):).

siares

Slovak
    Thank you Loob, I wasn't sure whether it is just the form which differs or the usage as well.

< Previous | Next >