that satisfying

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
A man is quarrelling with his girlfriend, she's accusing him of just taking advantage of her, instead of love, only for revenge on her husband. He is denying. She:
Please, do not make it like it wasn't in the least that satisfying to f**k the wife of the man who turned your precious little book into your big shitty movie.
('Californication', TV series)

1) "that" is an adverb, (used to emphasize how much • I was that scared I didn't know what to do). 'Satisfying' is an adjective.
2) "that" is a pronoun, 'satisfying' is a gerund.
3) Neither.

I'm pretty sure "1)" is correct.

Thank you.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I think your analysis is correct, or at least it would be correct if the sentence had been grammatical in the first place.

I don't think that you can say 'in the least that satisfying' - at least I wouldn't.

You can say: 'it wasn't in the least satisfying', 'it wasn't that satisfying', 'it wasn't in the least part/bit satisfying'.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    4) adjective. I think "that" modifies "satisfying" in an adjectival way.

"that" = "so", in my opinion.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Hey, Vik, I should have chosen: 3) Neither.

I think "that" = "so" = adjective.

It's just my opinion.

What function does "satisfying" serve in the sentence? I'm not entirely sure.

//Please, do not make it like it wasn't in the least that satisfying to f**k the wife of the man who turned your precious little book into your big shitty movie.
    ('Californication', TV series)//

It's not quite grammatical, here are some variants that are:

Please, do not make it like it wasn't somewhat satisfying to f**k the wife of the man who turned your precious little book into your big shitty movie.

Please, do not make it like it wasn't at least a little satisfying to f**k the wife of the man who turned your precious little book into your big shitty movie.

Please, do not make it like it was all that satisfying to f**k the wife of the man who turned your precious little book into your big shitty movie.

ADDED: Thanks Beryl. To get a 'that' in the picture, I've altered the meaning. The sentence simply uses 'that' before 'satisfied' is a way that, in microscopic terms, is similar to the original.
    ===

in the last case, this fits: online dictionary

that
    Adverb

To such a degree; so: "I would not go that far".

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    //Please, do not make it like it wasn't in the least that satisfying to f**k the wife of the man who turned your precious little book into your big shitty movie.
    ('Californication', TV series)//

that
    Adverb

To such a degree; so: "I would not go that far".

I may be confusing myself, but that never happens. :)

For me, the American English is grammatical.

I think I may have seen the light. Let's replace "that satisfying" with "completely satisfying".

... wasn't in the least completely satisfying to f**k ...

This "completely" would equal "that" or "so" for me, so I have to apologize. That seems an adverb.

< Previous | Next >