that she should <behave /be behaving /have behaved> [infinitive question]

Antja

Russian
Hello,

is there any difference between the two sentences?

It's strange that she should be behaving like that.

It's strange that she should behave like that.

One sentence more:

It's strange that she should have behaved like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Antja

Russian
    These sentences are all made up. I didn't take them from any book so there's no additional context I can provide. Here is how I understand the sentences.
    In 1) the action is in progress i.e. she is behaving strange now. Sentence 2) is a general statement about her behaviour. The last sentence suggest that the action happened in the past.

What do you think?

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    These sentences are all made up. I didn't take them from any book so there's no additional context I can provide. Here is how I understand the sentences.
    In 1) the action is in progress i.e. she is behaving strange now. Sentence 2) is a general statement about her behaviour. The last sentence suggest that the action happened in the past.

What do you think?
    I think that shows that you have a pretty good understanding of these tenses!

Antja

Russian
    I beg to differ. "Behave", "be behaving", and "have behaved" can be classified as bare infinitives (ones without to).

wandle

English - British
    If they were used as infinitives, they could be classified as bare infinitives, but in these sentences each of them is used as part of the main verb. They can only do one job at a time.

wandle

English - British
    Well it seems to me that only makes sense once you take the verb apart into its components, so that it no longer functions as part of a sentence.

Antja

Russian
    I find it quite useful to analyse sentences such as I want to do it in the same way as I should do it.

wandle

English - British
    I see a difference between the sentences posted above on the one hand and the following ones on the other:
    'To be or not to be: that is the question'. (Shakespeare)
    'The Americans were in a 'fish or cut bait' mood'. (Churchill)

Antja

Russian
    I can see the difference too but this does not mean that "be doing" in "should be doing" cannot be conseidered a bare infinitive. Most grammar books see it that way.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Yeah, I'm a bit surprised here. I learned that modal verbs take infinitives - sometimes full ones (You dare to question me?), sometimes bare ones (Could you turn up the heat?).

What's the alternative? Arguing that the full verb is "should behave" as a conjugation of the verb "behave"? That's patently absurd.

Antja, I think your analysis is totally correct. And if it's working for you, all the better! Keep it up.

< Previous | Next >