That she was tapping with her fingers made me angry

< Previous | Next >

slovac

In my last thread, I asked about whether this sentence:Whether this construction is grammatical is hard to say is correct. In this one, I would like to ask you about whether the sentences written below are grammatical. I used the same rules, but substituted WHETHER with THAT/ or omitted THAT.

That she was tapping with her fingers made me angry.
She was tapping with her fingers made me angry.

​Thank you.

• slovac

Thank you. Could you please tell me whether this modification is correct as well? (Past perfect used)
    That he had not done his homework caused the teacher to have a heart attack.

owlman5

English-US
    Can I have the last question?

I do not want that my son has not done his homework will case the teacher to have a heart attack.
    This sentence doesn't work, slovac. You'd need to change it slightly to have an acceptable sentence: I do not want my son's not having done his homework to cause the teacher to have a heart attack.

That's a complicated idea which is probably better suited for print than it is for speech. Many listeners would probably ask you what you meant if you used such a sentence in conversation.

slovac

Could you please tell me whether these constructions are correct?

I hope (that) that my son has not done his homework will case the teacher to have a heart attack.
    I insist that
    that my son did not do his homework be a crime.

owlman5

English-US
    Neither sentence looks normal to me, slovac. One thing you might keep in mind is that it is very unusual for native speakers to use the word "that" twice in a row. I think you are trying to use subordinate clauses to express ideas that are better expressed with other structures: I insist that my son's not having done his homework is a crime.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    They are both incorrect. The second is unfortunately completely incomprehensible. The first can be rescued:
    I hope (that) the fact that my son has not done his homework will (not) cause the teacher to have a heart attack.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The second (in #1) is incorrect because you don't have the subject for made me angry, like:
    She was tapping her fingers, which made me angry.
    She was tapping her fingers, and that made me angry.
    (not "with fingers")

Or you should leave out the first subject (she): Her tapping fingers made me angry (now it's similar to the first sentence in #1).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >