that speaking in abstractions may obscure the underlying reality

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
By writing "that speaking in abstractions may obscure the underlying reality", the speaker shows that he is in a dilemma because he previously said he's reluctant to introduce the details of human crimes?

The question is that it seems a bit too elusive to me to get the essence of what the author intended to tell readers.

Thanks in advance

While I am reluctant to traffic in the details of these crimes, I fear that speaking in abstractions may obscure the underlying reality. Despite a steady diet of news, which provides a daily reminder of human evil, it can be difficult to remember that certain people truly lack the capacity to care about their fellow human beings. Consider the statement of a man who was convicted of repeatedly raping and torturing his nine-year old stepson:

-Sam Harris (The Moral Landscape Page 66)

• lingobingo

English - England
    He seems to be saying that while he's reluctant to go into gory details, he doesn't think you can explain things properly by talking in vague abstract terms.

kentix

English - U.S.
    gory details
    Note that "gory details" is a fixed expression. Gory generally refers to blood but this expression can have a wider, more figurative meaning.

the gory details
    phrase of gory
    1. 1.
      the explicit details of something.
      "she told him the gory details of her past"

< Previous | Next >