That sucks

melasa

English & Spanish, USA born
De gacha

I learned this word by practicing interpreting listening to recordings called “Interpreters Edge.”
As I can remember (long time ago) one of the characters (a defendant/witness) in the practice recording was referring to a situation “that sucks.”
He used, “Es de gacha “
It’s been such a long time since I heard this recording that I can’t remember all the details… But it is just stuck in my head that that is how to say”it sucks” , when referring to a bad situation… I can’t really remember what the situation was either in this recording… I just remember that this is how to say “it sucks”... I think he could’ve been from Mexico but I’m not sure… I hope you can help me with my fragmented memories… But this expression is stuck in my head as to how to interpret“It sucks”, And I cannot find anything in online dictionaries to legitimize it…WR has gachO. But that ends with an O… I’m not sure if I heard or learned this wrong?

• Mr.Dent

English American
    Gacho/a is an adjective. As such it can be masculine or feminine. In Mexico it means, according to the DRAE, "Malo, feo, desagradable".

Cerros de Úbeda

UK
    Spanish - Spain (Galicia)
    - Es muy malo / horrible

En España no se usa lo de 'gacho'. Se dice '(Eso) es muy malo / horrible', o 'es malísimo / fatal'.

Y de forma más coloquial, '(Eso) no sirve / vale para nada', o 'apesta / es horripilante'.

Jergalmente, 'Es patético...'.

Vulgarmente, 'Es una mierda'.

Last edited:

melasa

English & Spanish, USA born
    Ok: La situación está gacha—the situation sucks.
    I think I heard “de” in front of gacha from my memory of hearing this.
    Would it sound incorrect if I added “de”?
    La situación está de gacha.
    Thanks all!

Herodoto

spanish-spain
    In spanish (from Spain), you can say "eso apesta", "me huele mal", and if you are talking about a bussiness, you can say "es una mierda" (this is very unpolite), and so on.
    In spanish slang "gachó" (with an accent on the last syllable) means "person", and without accent (gacho) has the meaning that Mr Dent said.

De gacha

I learned this word by practicing interpreting listening to recordings called “Interpreters Edge.”
    As I can remember (long time ago) one of the characters (a defendant/witness) in the practice recording was referring to a situation “that sucks.”
    He used, “Es de gacha “
    It’s been such a long time since I heard this recording that I can’t remember all the details… But it is just stuck in my head that that is how to say”it sucks” , when referring to a bad situation… I can’t really remember what the situation was either in this recording… I just remember that this is how to say “it sucks”... I think he could’ve been from Mexico but I’m not sure… I hope you can help me with my fragmented memories… But this expression is stuck in my head as to how to interpret“It sucks”, And I cannot find anything in online dictionaries to legitimize it…WR has gachO. But that ends with an O… I’m not sure if I heard or learned this wrong?

< Previous | Next >