...that they are close to.

< Previous | Next >

maraba

Spain
Hi, people. Does it really make sense? I think so, but...to the colours words that they are close to. Could it be better "to the colours words close to which they are?".

[The Rebus song is based on the relation between meanings and pictures; the written text is repeatedly accompanied by blanks when it concerns colours, and these blanks are to be coloured by the pupils according to the colour words that they are close to.]

Should I substitute simply colours for colour words.

I look forward to your answers. Thanks very much.

• Anakin59

Argentina - castellano
    colours words make perfect sense to me, because what the sentence is saying is "to the words that name colours" and not "to the words in corlour".
    So the child will have the word "red" written close to a a blank space, where he should paint with red pencil or whatever.

daviesri

USA English
    When you write "colour words", what exactly do you mean. Do you mean:

a) Words such as "red", "blue" or "green"

b) Words that are written with a different coloured ink (example: "Dog" written in ble ink, "cat" in red ink)

If you mean example "a", I would just use colour (In the US I would use color).

If you mean example "b", I would use coloured words/ colored words.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    My problem is the phrase "they are close to". I assume the antecedent of "they" is "color words", although one might think the "they" refers to the "pupils". The meaning of the instruction is not immediately clear to me.

maraba

Spain
    colours words make perfect sense to me, because what the sentence is saying is "to the words that name colours" and not "to the words in corlour".
    So the child will have the word "red" written close to a a blank space, where he should paint with red pencil or whatever.
    You've drawn the perfect sense.

daviesri said:
    When you write "colour words", what exactly do you mean. Do you mean:

a) Words such as "red", "blue" or "green"

b) Words that are written with a different coloured ink (example: "Dog" written in ble ink, "cat" in red ink)

If you mean example "a", I would just use colour (In the US I would use color).

If you mean example "b", I would use coloured words/ colored words.
    Indeed, I mean #a). Doesn't it make sense colours words, then?

GreenWhiteBlue said:
    My problem is the phrase "they are close to". I assume the antecedent of "they" is "color words", although one might think the "they" refers to the "pupils". The meaning of the instruction is not immediately clear to me.
    I see.

Thank you all.:)

< Previous | Next >