that/those

< Previous | Next >

Japanese and Japan
I am interested in the use of the “that” inthe passage. Shouldn’t the “that” have been “those”?

For along while, the British variety of English was the one most widely studied andused by speakers of other languages. But movies, telephone, popular music, andtechnology have helped to spread American English outside the United States.Now both main varieties-----that of the United States and of the UnitedKingdom-----are widely used, and some newer ones, such as Australian English,are also becoming more powerful.
(given by a friend, but the source is unknown)

Or, does the "that
" come from "that" of the United States and "that" of the United Kingdom? I am wondering.

Last edited:
  • Suspishio

English - England
    I take the that to be a contraction as you suggest and therefore correct. If those had been used, the fluid text would have been ...."those of the United States and the United Kingdom...."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's a very good question, 8769. After thinking it over, I have to say that I disagree with Suspishio. I think those should have been used. I believe that for "that" to be correct, it would need to be repeated before "of the United Kingdom". The present structure is plural—two things connected by "and"—and calls for "those".

Japanese and Japan
    Thank you for the prompt replies, Suspishio and Parla.

The two explanations contradict. I would like more replies from natives, please.

Suspishio

English - England
    Parla and I don't really contradict each other. It seems to me that Parla is challenging the implication of what I wrote that the contraction of that is correct in English. Certainly in usage it works.

gringuitoloco

American (awesome) English
    I agree with Suspishio. Using the preposition twice allows you to use "that". If "those" were used, it would sound to me like each country has more than one English.

That being said, I think "that" probably should have been repeated, too, just to make it clearer.

< Previous | Next >