that transition individuals...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Maria Ovidia, May 11, 2011.

1. Maria Ovidia Member

Brazil - Portuguese
    Who could help me translate/understand the following sentence in bold:

... through either boosted enrollment or increased development to sensitive retirement practices that transition individuals and programs in concert

I do not have the source - I'm working on the translation of a presentation.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    First, it's not a sentence and there's no context, so we have little to go on in helping you understand it.

Second, if you would like it translated, you should put it in the appropriate forum.

3. Maria Ovidia Member

Brazil - Portuguese
    Understanding is more important than translating it.
    Thanks anyway

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If you'll give us the sentence and the context (such as what industry we're talking about), we'll do our best to help.

5. Maria Ovidia Member

Brazil - Portuguese
    The lecturer will be talking to an audience of people engaged in fundraising for educational institutions. The topic her is how to achieve economic equilibrium.

The whole paragraph:
    Personnel - strategies in the realm of human resources can range from hiring a strong CFO to strategic hires with revenue enhancement potential-through either boosted enrollment or increased development-to sensitive retirement practices that transition in individuals and programs in concert.
    thanks

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I hear a lot of biz-speak and can break that sentence down to its parts, but your bold phrase has me baffled. I would expect sensitive retirement practices to get rid of dead wood in the organization, but that's not what it says. Transitioning in would seem to mean bringing people into the organization, along with programs at the same time -- but I'm missing the connection with retirement practices.

Perhaps it means retirement practices that ease out older employees while bringing new people and new programs on board at the same time.

That's the best I can manage, so it may be time for someone else to try. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  7. Maria Ovidia Member

Brazil - Portuguese
    your comments are helpful.
    I'll follow your suggestion and see what happens. Trial and error helps sometimes.
    Thanks