"That was good advice." or "That has been..."?

cheshire

Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
At the end of the thread you've started, which should you write "Thank you, that was good advice." or "Thank you, that has been good advice"?

kajjo said:
"Danke, das waren aber gute Ratschläge!"

• Song Sprite

English, Canada
    Probably the one that would fit the situation most closely would be, "Thank you, that has been good advice."

But I think it is more natural simply to say "Thank you for the good advice."

bellerophon

English - Canada
    Probably the one that would fit the situation most closely would be, "Thank you, that has been good advice."

But I think it is more natural simply to say "Thank you for the good advice."
    I'd have to disagree here. The perfect tense - "has been" in this case - is often used to imply that the activity has continued from the past until the present. Usually it is used to imply that now something has changed. In this case, "that has been good advice" implies that the advice was once good, but it has now been replaced with better (or different) advice.

I would stick with the simple past "that was..." because it implies that the advice was (and is still/will always be) good advice. It has a completeness that the other does not bear.

muselinazi

English, Australia
    I'd have to disagree here. The perfect tense - "has been" in this case - is often used to imply that the activity has continued from the past until the present. Usually it is used to imply that now something has changed. In this case, "that has been good advice" implies that the advice was once good, but it has now been replaced with better (or different) advice.

I would stick with the simple past "that was..." because it implies that the advice was (and is still/will always be) good advice. It has a completeness that the other does not bear.
    I agree.

body-snatch-her

English-USA
    Keep it short, simple, informal, and friendly by just saying "Thank you for the good advice!" (props to Song Sprite).
    Usually the more words you use the more likely you are to offend the Spirits of Grammatical Propriety! Only add words if you need to clarify things like properly choosing a cat over several dogs while avoiding arbitrary protocols and indefinite pronouns!

cheshire

Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    Usually the more words you use the more likely you are to offend the Spirits of Grammatical Propriety! Only add words if you need to clarify things like properly choosing a cat over several dogs while avoiding arbitrary protocols and indefinite pronouns!
    Could you explain the red words, please?

< Previous | Next >