that we should stage

azz

armenian
Can one say (or rather write)
a. That we should stage a demonstration just when the minister is here would deal a heavy blow to his credibility.

b. For us to stage a demonstration just when the minister is here will deal a heavy blow to his credibility.
?

The sentences are mine.

They sound official or even old-fashioned and stilted to me. That is why I said it would be better to use the verb 'write' instead of 'say'. But I am not even sure they are grammatical...

Many thanks.

• CasparWeinburger

English--Canada
    The problem is the verbs that you use to connect the sentences.
    a)....would deal
    b)...will deal

Have you seen this elsewhere?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Can one say (or rather write)
    a. That we should stage a demonstration just when the minister is here would deal a heavy blow to his credibility.

b. For us to stage a demonstration just when the minister is here will deal a heavy blow to his credibility.
    ?
    "That we should" sounds stilted to me as a sentence starter. The "For us" sentence is good, if you change "will" to "would". That's because the clause "For us to..." expresses something hypothetical. If you want to use "will" you can say:

If we stage a demonstration just when the minister is here , it will deal a heavy blow to his credibility.

azz

armenian
    Thank you both so much for your replies.

I don't know why I used 'would' in one case and 'will' in the other! I thought both would work. But if you say 'would' is correct, I will use 'would' from now on.

Many thanks.

< Previous | Next >