[...] that won't fit in your hand baggage a level lower for you.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
I found this strange sentence on the website of an international European airline.
I can't make sense of it. Does it mean anything to any of you? If so, can you enlighten me?

Thank you.

We'll be happy to carry the items that won't fit in your hand baggage a level lower for you.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, assuming that it's from the Swiss airline website, I've found out by a circuitous process involving looking at the French language version and translating it properly back into English, they mean they will carry anything which is too big for hand baggage in the hold for you. :)

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Thank you, DonnyB. I did not want to name the airline, but now the cat is out of the bag!

I suspected something about the lower compartment of the aircraft (the hold), but it's nice to have it confirmed.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Here is how I figure out sentences in English.

Step 0: look at the sentence:

"We'll be happy to carry the items that won't fit in your hand baggage a level lower for you."

Step 1: identify any long noun phrase, and replace it with the single word thing(s):

"We'll be happy to carry the items that won't fit in your hand baggage a level lower for you."
    "We'll be happy to carry things a level lower for you."

Step 2: figure out any unclear phrase, and replace it too.I understand "happy to carry" and "for you", but what is "a level lower" on an airplane? All passengers are on the same level, so "a level lower" means "to the luggage area of the airplane".

"We'll be happy to carry things to the luggage area for you."

Step 3: Understand the meaning. Why would they take things to the luggage area? Because the items won't fit.

So the sentence is saying that you can bring things onto the airplane, and if they won't fit, "we" (the employees) will take them to the lugggage area of the airplane "for you". You don't have to get off the airplane and check them at a counter.

Even better, "we will be happy" to do this. We won't get angry at you or swear at you! We promise! :)

< Previous | Next >