that would be teeneagers

< Previous | Next >

gimhee

Korean
But, especially if we handle it right, that momentary pleasure should pale in light of what they’ve lost. Even when children don’t show it(that would be teenagers), our opinions matter to them. When we stand in front of them, disappointed, angry and confused by their actions, that hurts. They want to know what comes next as much as we do.

I don't understand what the underlined sentence means...

what does 'that' refer to? and what does the sentence mean ~?

teach me please ~~~~

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/...on=U.S.&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body

• SReynolds

Hungarian
    That refers to those children who don't show that their parents' opinions matter to them.

The sentence means that when children violate their parents' trust, parents need to show that losing trust is more important than whatever momentary pleasure they gained while doing it. The sentence goes to explain that even teenagers, who don't seem to be moved by their parents' rage, care about what they think.

Greyfriar

Hi,

The speaker has made it clear that he is referring to teenagers and not younger children.

'That would be teenagers' is another way of saying 'here I am speaking about teenagers.' Or, 'here I mean teenagers.'

SReynolds

Hungarian
    Yes, although the question was asking what that refered to. That in this case is a reference to the clause children who don't show it {that their parents' opinions matter to them}. The sentence then goes on to explain that these children are teenagers. I added an explanation just as you were writing your post to make that more clear.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >