That would put a smile on my face

Aquile0

spanish
Hola,
I'm confused with the use of 'would' in the below sentence:

I have this chat group with my buddies from high school and these wonderful people post stuff that inspire, educate and once in a while include some funny cat videos and baby photos that would put a smile on my face.

If I translate to Spanish literally will be: Yo tengo a chat group con mis amigos de la secundaria y estas personas maravillosas publican cosas que inspiran, educan y de vez en cuando algunos videos divertidos sobre gatos y fotos de bebés que pondrían una sonrisa en mi cara.

why not just "that put a smile on my face" instead of "that would put.."?

Regards

• Wandering JJ

British English
    Hi Aquile0,

What is the source of the text? I ask because a native English speaker would write "... these wonderful people post stuff that inspires, educates and once in a while includes... " as 'stuff' is considered to be singular. I would agree that "put a smile on my face" is fine. Perhaps the author was not a native English speaker.

Sprachliebhaber

USA English
    why not just "that put a smile on my face" instead of "that would put.."?
    Exactly! You could say "that would put a smile on anyone's face", but there is no reason to change from the present tense of "post" to the conditional of "would put." It suggests that the funny cat videos and baby photos don't, in fact, make me smile.

Aquile0

spanish
    Hi Aquile0,

What is the source of the text? I ask because a native English speaker would write "... these wonderful people post stuff that inspires, educates and once in a while includes... " as 'stuff' is considered to be singular. I would agree that "put a smile on my face" is fine. Perhaps the author was not a native English speaker.
    Hi Wandering JJ
    Well, It's an article from an online newspaper in English.
    https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/04/28/1913079/or-without-money

Last edited:

Aquile0

spanish
    Exactly! You could say "that would put a smile on anyone's face", but there is no reason to change from the present tense of "post" to the conditional of "would put." It suggests that the funny cat videos and baby photos don't, in fact, make me smile.
    Hi Sprachliebhaber,
    So, do you mean that the original sentence is right?

Regards

Sprachliebhaber

USA English
    It could be right if you want to imply that for some reason they didn't put a smile on your face. (Perhaps because your baby is very ill and your cat just died.)

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    The source of the text is a blog or news site from the Philipines, so I would suggest that the English used is not to be trusted too much.

Aquile0

spanish
    The source of the text is a blog or news site from the Philipines, so I would suggest that the English used is not to be trusted too much.
    Well, It's one of the most important newspaper here in The Philippines, the above is the online version, but they have the hard copy version every day as well, plus English is an official language in this country.

< Previous | Next >