chopin7

Albanian
Hello

One guy flirts with an woman.
He has a funeral wreath and gives it to her saying,
"I brought you some flowers."
Woman responds "Boy, that's a funeral wreath."
Guy says jokingly "That's because I lays it down."
It's movie "Single Moms Club". They are both black.
I am having trouble with "lays it down".
Since it is a joke, does he mean maybe "it's a funeral wreath because you are dead" something like this?

Thank you

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, chopin7 This is an attempt to reproduce a type of Black speech, which wouldn't ordinarily be used by an educated Black person; it'd most likely be used to parody some White people's condescending idea of Black speech. As to why he bought her a funeral wreath, I can't say; I haven't seen the film.

Copyright

American English
    I imagine he stole the wreath and is passing it off as flowers he bought for her. To add to what I said, we speak of "laying someone to rest" when we bury them, so he's using the "lay" portion of that expression. I don't think it's an attempt to reproduce black speech because these two are black. :)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    You're probably right about how he obtained the wreath, copyright, and about the "lay" wordplay. But some times Black people do use such speech to one another, in a, er, darkly humorous way. In a film, it would depend on the characters and...the context.

chopin7

Albanian
    Thank you, Copyright and Ainttranslationfun (really funny :))
    So, that's what "saves" this, wordplay with lay?

chopin7

Albanian
    Sorry for dragging this on, but how does this sound to an English ear, cute finding, dumb finding or whatever finding?
    Movie is pretty dumb, so I'd be surprised if that's an exception.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, chopin7, <<French explanation removed>>. Maybe 'explains' would be better than 'saves'; whether you laugh depends on your sense of humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >