That's <genius><ingenious>

< Previous | Next >
Which one is correct: "that's genius" or "that's ingenious" <-----Topic added to post by moderator (Floretia52)----->

I've seen it being spelled and spoken both ways, are they interchangeable or is one of them wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Neither is "wrong",but they have different meanings: "That's genius!" "That's brilliant!" and "That's ingenouous!" "That's clever/inventive!" In what contexts have you seen them, lease?

Neither is "wrong",but they have different meanings: "That's genius!" "That's brilliant!" and "That's ingenouous!" "That's clever/inventive!" In what contexts have you seen them, lease?
    Interesting... here's the context:
    There's this Brazilian blog, the best there is for portuguese speakers to get quality english learning translated material, and in one of its posts, an American called Brooks commented this:
    Screenshot.png

In my reply I wrote what you can see above, and not being sure if it was right, came here to ask ; )

Truffula

English - USA
    Above, ain'ttranslationfun has misspelled one of the words: "that's ingenious" is not "That's ingenouous" and "that's ingenuous" (a real word) means "that's (falsely) naive" not "that's brilliant" :)

< Previous | Next >