That's hot

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
Hi Group,

Paris Hilton always says a phrase that I don't fully understand "Now that's hot" and "That's hot" What does it mean both phrases and what is the difference between one and the other phrase?

• Leopold

España - Español
    Personally, i think it's the same, and i think it means that something is "cool and new". It could also mean that something is attractive or beautiful.

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    I would like to confuse you all a bit more. While Paris was the person who said the phrase, it has obviously caught on among young Americans. My friends, for example, use the phrase often. We all work in a restaurant, and may say it under these conditions:

When someone spills water, "That's hot."
    When someone snorts while laughing, "That was hot."
    When a dessert is ready, and it looks really good, "That's hot."
    When someone makes a mistake, "That's hot."
    When a customer gets rude, or demanding, "That's not hot."

When ANYTHING happens, my friends use this phrase . . . maybe a little too often. :D :p

vachecow

USA English
    That she is.........and I agree....that phrase is sometimes used way too much....my advise would be to not listen to Paris Hilton.....but thats just me ;)

Tomas Robinson

USA, English & Spanish
    vachecow121 said:
    That she is.........and I agree....that phrase is sometimes used way too much....my advise would be to not listen to Paris Hilton.....but thats just me ;)

I second that advice, vachecow... :) Yes, Antonio, "hot" is like "cool" (and putting "now that's" in front intensifies it I suppose). But listen to vachecow, it IS wayyyy overused! Of course, I'm no longer in that "young American demographic" where all cool phrases are born. :eek:

Cheers!

jacinta

USA English
    vachecow121 said:

Ha!! That is also my advice but who are we?? among a sea of bubble-headed TV viewers.
    No offense intended but: Avoid this phrase. Stick with cool. It sounds more cool.

Mike

Australia, English
    Antonio said:
    Hi Group,

Paris Hilton always says a phrase that I don't fully understand "Now that's hot" and "That's hot" What does it mean both phrases and what is the difference between one and the other phrase?

Hi Antonio,

One of the best sources for looking up the different usages of words on line is dictionary.com

Here is the listing for hot. However, I assume she is using the meaning listed in 6 a:

Informal. Arousing intense interest, excitement, or controversy: a hot new book; a hot topic.

or perhaps 11

Slang. Very good or impressive. Often used in the negative: I'm not so hot at math.

Anyway, in the context used, I think it really just means cool, good, impressive etc.

The difference between the two, is that the first, "now that's hot", is more of a comparitive statement (as though in the past, previous things that were commented on, did not match the level of hotness the current subject has), whereas simply saying "that's hot", just means it's cool and worth attention.

For example, the 2000 Ferrari is hot, but the 2004 Ferrari? Now that's hot. (I don't particularly pay attention to cars, just couldn't think of a clearer example.)

I guess "now that's hot" is just more emphatic.

I hope this is of some help.

Mike

lsp

NY
    US, English
    One exception when cool and hot are not so interchangeable.When referring to something sexual or sensual. Then "That''s cool" is not the same as "That's hot."

DesertCat

inglese | English
    I would have to agree with Lamante. I've never heard anyone say that's hot in referring to anyone in my area of the US. But then I may be old and out of touch. Now, we might say it in reference to a person as in "Raoul Bova is hot."

Chaucer

US inglés/español
    That's hot! = ¡Eso es hot!

Now that's hot! = ¡Eso sí que es hot o ¡Ahora sí que eso es hot!

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    I totally agree with Tom, in the way, that Paris is refering to "cool" when she said "hot". That really add up to me in this particular context.

P.S. "Now That's Hot" now is an intensifier, I totally agree with all of you.

lainyn

Canadian English
    Sometimes people say, "Now that's hot" sarcastically, as when a friend snorts into her soup. (Definitely the opposite of attractive.)

I don't use the phrase very often, but I've noticed that friends from Vancouver do. You get to learn all sorts of colloquial usages when you go to university.