That's manly choking with muscle science.

< Previous | Next >

Arzhela

French
Hello,
I have to give you the context : this is a man who holds his pinkie up when he eats a cake and says "that's not a female thing. That's science. That's manly choking with muscle science".
Could someone help me to understand this last sentence please ?
Thanks in advance.

• pieanne

Belgium/French
    The pinkie is governed by muscle science. That muscle science tells his pinkie he must keep it up, even if it's NOT manly. So the manly side of him is choked by muscle science.
    LOL, that's funny!
    Who said that?

suzi br

English / England
    Well that is a very strange construction. Where have you got this from?

I am guessing that the phrase "manly choking with muscle science" is intended to be comical? The phrase "manly choking with muscles" is modifying "science" (that is: acting like a adjective to define the sort of science it its.)

The writer is suggesting: big, strong, over-muscled, testosterone fuelled science.. perhaps the type that seeks to gets people excited about beating land-speed records in cars that are really jets?

It is particularly funny because this type of science is being announced by someone who eats cake with his little finger in the air, which is usually an effete mannerism, and not a bit manly.

Arzhela

French
    pieanne said:
    The pinkie is governed by muscle science. That muscle science tells his pinkie he must keep it up, even if it's NOT manly. So the manly side of him is choked by muscle science.
    LOL, that's funny!
    Who said that?
    Thank you pieanne. This is an actor (very funny YES !) in an american serie TV. But I don't understand why he says "muscle science" instead of "muscle" only...? And "choked" means "confirmed" ?

suzi br

English / England
    Choked in this context means full of. I wasn't sure what the science was meant to be in this text. Have they mentioned something else before he eats his cake this way? Or is his finger in the air the science, as pieanne suggests?

It is "new" language there is no reason "why?".... apart from to get a comic effect. :)

pieanne

Belgium/French
    <And "choked" means "confirmed" ?>
    You mostly choke on something. It means that you can't breathe properly because something (a peanut, a hamburger bit) is obstructing your windpipe (not sure of the term) and is preventing you from breathing.

<"muscle science">
    The way muscles operate?

Arzhela

French
    suzi br said:
    Choked in this context means full of. I wasn't sure what the science was meant to be in this text. Have they mentioned something else before he eats his cake this way? Or is his finger in the air the science, as pieanne suggests?

It is "new" language there is no reason "why?".... apart from to get a comic effect. :)
    Thank you Suzi. The man was simply defending himself from being gay and when he took his cake to eat it like that, the woman in front of him began to laugh and said that he was eating like gays. That's why he answered that... Thank you for your explanation, I understand now... :)

MrPedantic

UK, English
    Yes; though I think I'd take it as two adjectives and a personification:

1. "That's manly, choking-with-muscle science".

A very muscular person might have powerful neck muscles: so powerful, that they might appear to be choking their owner.

Cf. the phrase "muscular Christianity".

MrP

suzi br

English / England
    MrPedantic said:
    Yes; though I think I'd take it as two adjectives and a personification:

1. "That's manly, choking-with-muscle science".

A very muscular person might have powerful neck muscles: so powerful, that they might appear to be choking their owner.

Cf. the phrase "muscular Christianity".

MrP
    Ah yes - that comma after manly does make the whole thing a bit clearer, so the "that's manly" bit directly contradicts the "you're gay" accusation and then the next bit develops the idea, as though there is muscle science in holding your finger such a way ...

BRAVO :D

< Previous | Next >