''That's nasty''

< Previous | Next >

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi,

Something lately bothered me a little. When I watched the baseball show on ESPN, I noticed that it used a slogan ''That's nasty'' to describe a scene where a fielder might have a good catch. What really confused me is the word ''nasty'', even though I checked out the dictionary, I cannot find out why the TV producer would rather use That's nasty than something like That's fabulous or That's wonderful. Isn't nasty usually be used negatively? There must be something I haven't learnt about.

Thanks.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Without more context, my guess is that they are looking at it from the batter's point of view: the batter found the result nasty: he would have had a hit except for the splendid catch of the fielder.

Solbrillante

USA-English
    Hello! I really couldn't imagine a baseball announcer using that's nasty to describe a fabulous catch. I could imagine him referring to some kind of on-field collision or some type of injury in this way. Is it possible that during the catch there was something like that?

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you, Solbrillante and GreenWhiteBlue

Sorry, I am unable to give you more context, but it is not something spoken by a baseball announcer during a game, it's more like a short report(I don't know the correct term for it) for today's baseball results. In the end of the show, there is a slogan shown on the screen before it introduced today's nice catch.

Solbrillante

USA-English
    Hmmm, I'm really not sure what he would be referring to! I can only think that there must have been some pain involved in making the catch. I could see someone saying Ooh, that's nasty how his arm was twisted, or that's a nasty collision, or what a nasty way to hit the wall, or something along those lines. Otherwise, I'm just not really sure. Sorry!

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hello! I really couldn't imagine a baseball announcer using that's nasty to describe a fabulous catch. I could imagine him referring to some kind of on-field collision or some type of injury in this way. Is it possible that during the catch there was something like that?
    I think not. The scene where the players don't have on-field collision or injury during a game, they just perform very well. I think GreenWhiteBlue's guess might be right on this.

Edit: Solbrillante, you're welcome.:) I have been thinking of this for a while so now it might be good to ask the producer, I think.

tinlizzy

USA - English
    My teenage son is at school right now so I can't ask him, but I know I've heard him say the phrase "That's nasty" gleefully to describe an extraordinary event. I think in my day we would have said "That's wicked!"

bibliolept

AE, Español
    My teenage son is at school right now so I can't ask him, but I know I've heard him say the phrase "That's nasty" gleefully to describe an extraordinary event. I think in my day we would have said "That's wicked!"
    UrbanDictionary seems to concur: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nasty

two definitions are "esthetically pleasing" and "excellent ability / ridiculously good."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Yep! I don't hear "nasty" used that way very often, but I do hear "sick" sometimes to refer to something that's really good.
    Yes, "sick" can be put up there with examples like "wicked" and "dope." I should have also mentioned that I have heard "nasty" used in this manner, though only fairly recently. This is why I posted the UrbanDictionary reference, a source which I always take with a grain of salt, as "results may vary."

ccwl22

va
    U.S. english
    words like nasty, sick, bad and wicked can all relate to awesome, cool, sweet, and great.
    it's really amazing how the English language is changing to mean so many different things

tinlizzy

USA - English
    it's really amazing how the English language is changing to mean so many different things
    I love American English. It's chopped up left-overs throw into the pot and served as a stew.

Bibliolept- thanks for the link. It will help me keep up with the children in the house!

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Oh well, I am too old to be a teenager, but I do hear this from time to time:

--Wow, that's a nasty car you have there.
    --Isn't she a beauty?

< Previous | Next >