That's not something that either a teenager or a youngster does.

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
Good afternoon folks. How are you doing this Friday?
I' ve recently posted a thread about "either and neither", so it's something I'm trying to put into my head
and this is not easy at all. :oops:
I've written a few lines in a web for exchanging languages and today while reading the corrections, I've found this:
That's not something a teenager or a youngster does.
The person who has corrected my entry thinks that this sentence is right, and so do I.
However, bearing in mind that I'm dealing with two objects here, I was thinking whether these
following sentences would be all right:
That's not something that either a teenager or a youngster does.
That's something that neither a teenager nor a youngster does.

Maybe the context is important, so what I'm trying to say is that children don't care about their parents' lives before becoming their parents.
Thanks a lot for your time friends. I always try to keep my entries short but ... :rolleyes: I can't.
Have a nice weekend.
Bye

• Chez

English English
    Yes, both your sentences with 'either' and 'neither' are grammatical. But we generally prefer the shortest/simplest way to say something, so the original is preferable in my opinion.

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
    Thanks Chez. I'll keep in mind what you say about the shortest way to say something.
    However, I wrote that sentence without realizing that I was in front of a 'possible either or neither sentence'.
    Right now it's much more clear to me, and I might use both of them in a more formal context, if necessary.
    So thank you so much and have a nice weekend.
    See you.

< Previous | Next >