"That's ok " [okay] to mean "You're welcome"

Yuansheng

Chinese
hello, I'm a Chinese student from Peking. As the title shows, my first question is Does "That's ok "mean "You're welcome"?

[Second question removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • heypresto

English - England
    Welcome to WRF. :thumbsup:

Yes, 'That's OK' can mean the same as 'You're welcome' in some contexts. Do you have a context in mind?

[Other comment deleted as no longer needed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Language Hound

American English
    Welcome to the Forum, Yuansheng!:)
    Please note that "ok" is not a word. If it were a word, it would be pronounced like "oak."
    What you mean is written either as heypresto has written it, OK, or spelled out, okay.

As mentioned in other threads like this one here, there are many casual and informal alternatives to "you're welcome."
    Please keep in mind that a lot of people find some of the casual alternatives annoying and even rude.
    I'd recommend sticking to the always polite "you're welcome" in response to "thank you."

Yuansheng

Chinese
    Welcome to the Forum, Yuansheng!:)
    Please note that "ok" is not a word. If it were a word, it would be pronounced like "oak."
    What you mean is written either as heypresto has written it, OK, or spelled out, okay.

As mentioned in other threads like this one here, there are many casual and informal alternatives to "you're welcome."
    Please keep in mind that a lot of people find some of the casual alternatives annoying and even rude.
    I'd recommend sticking to the always polite "you're welcome" in response to "thank you."
    Thank you for your sincere welcome and quick reply. Do you mean okay, instead of ok, is the only right spelling form? And I take your advice and I will only use you're welcome in response to thank you from now.

:)

< Previous | Next >