That's sorry!

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
You'd say 'That's a sorry excuse!' Could you extrapolate it and say 'That's sorry!', referring to an excuse you just heard someone say? ( I doubt it ..., but I have this feeling that I've heard 'That's sorry' somehow somewhere ...)

A: I've been waiting for you for the last hour! Where have you been?
B: I had a lot of errands to run this morning, and all that.
A: Oh, that's sorry! (Oh, that's a sorry excuse! Oh, that's a lame excuse!)

• HSS

Then, would you say '(Something) is sorry' at all in some context? (Note: Here something is not a human, animal or robot, or anybody)

rhitagawr

British English
    A person can be sorry when he's expressing sympathy, regret, pity or shame - I'm sorry. When it refers to things, it comes (or seems to me to come) before the noun - a sorry wine, a sorry meal, a sorry look on his face. And not the wine was sorry etc.

JustKate

I agree with Rhitagawr and Rover_KE. Sorry is used as a modifier, but it is for some reason always used before the noun it's modifying, never after. So we say "That was a sorry excuse," not "The excuse was sorry," and we say "Get your sorry ass out of here" not "Get your ass, which is sorry, out of here." :)

Forero

I have to disagree a little with the crowd on this one. "That's sorry" can be said of a thing, especially if it is clear what thing is meant, but the exact meaning also depends on context. It sometimes means "That's lame" and sometimes "That's pitiful", among other things.

In the context given, the meaning of "That's sorry" is not clear, though the meaning of "That's lame" or "That's a sorry excuse" would be clear enough.

With a lot of stress on the word sorry, it would have meaning, but it would be practically a personal attack, not just a comment about what the person has said, so I would not say it.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    If you rephrased to, "A: Oh, [as an excuse,] that's a bit sorry sounding!" it is passable.

HSS

I have to disagree a little with the crowd on this one. "That's sorry" can be said of a thing, especially if it is clear what thing is meant, but the exact meaning also depends on context. It sometimes means "That's lame" and sometimes "That's pitiful", among other things.

In the context given, the meaning of "That's sorry" is not clear, though the meaning of "That's lame" or "That's a sorry excuse" would be clear enough.

With a lot of stress on the word sorry, it would have meaning, but it would be practically a personal attack, not just a comment about what the person has said, so I would not say it.
    Interesting!

( I doubt it ..., but I have this feeling that I've heard 'That's sorry' somehow somewhere ...)
    Now that I tried to remember from who, it was from a California-born-and-raised high school boy that I heard it about twenty some years back.

< Previous | Next >