that's the idea

yukinohana

Japanese
Hello,

"Since I've got the terrible sweet teeth, it'd be a good balance to do more exercise when I get old. I think that's the idea."

Does "that's the idea" mean "that's just a thought" or "that can be a good idea", or something else?

Thanks a lot.

• fisherofsouls

English/UK
    yukinohana,

First of all, thank you for expanding my horizons ever so slightly - I didn't know that the Japanese for "Japanese" is Nihongo :)

Secondly, to your question. May I begin by suggesting some corrections to the quoted statement, as follows:

"Since I've got the a terrible sweet teeth tooth, it'd be a good balance trade-off to do more exercise when I get old. I think that's the idea."

In this example, "that's the idea" means "that is what is suggested" i.e. that more exercise later in life will offset the weight gain from eating sweet stuff.

Nick

lilyar

Español
    Hi. I was reading this thread and a doubt came up. What does "to have a sweet tooth" mean?

bluegiraffe

English - England
    Hi. I was reading this thread and a doubt came up. What does "to have a sweet tooth" mean?
    It means you like to eat sweet things. I have a sweet tooth - I love chocolate and biscuits and cake, especially cake. My brother doesn't have a sweet tooth. He prefers to each crisps and sandwiches and savory things.

< Previous | Next >