that's what I needed!

blush

english-melayu
Is that a correct sentence if you want to express that you have found something you need?
thanks..

• prof d'anglais

Apart from the capital "I" in the first person, singular, perfectly acceptable. Maybe some alternatives could be "That's just what I needed", "By jove, I needed that" etc. The context may suggest these or other permutations.

blush

english-melayu
    Thank you guys.. :)

Apart from the capital "I" in the first person, singular, perfectly acceptable. Maybe some alternatives could be "That's just what I needed", "By jove, I needed that" etc. The context may suggest these or other permutations.
    :confused:
    But what's the diffrerence meaning between "that's just what I needed!" and "that's what i needed?" how it may suggest other permutations?? :p

prof d'anglais

Very little difference Blush, that's why I suggested the context itself may offer alternatives. Including the word "just" in your sentence maybe found in the context of a long-distance runner enjoying a long cold drink, after his race. A metaphor one might also hear "That's just what the doctor ordered".
    As with most of the forum questions, if you give us more of the contextual situation, we can offer more specific choices.

blush

english-melayu
    That I mean is someone has just found something that he really needs.. as your example about a runner..
    ok,,I see.. thank you very much..

I'm new member of this forum..
    Thank's for the suggestion.. :)

prof d'anglais

Your context is still a little vague Blush but if, for example, I was searching through a jar of assorted screws, knowing vaguely what I wanted and discovered a type of screw I hadn't already imagined but suited my task perfectly, I might exclaim, with a little surprise "That’s just what I needed". However if I discovered the exact type of screw I'd already pictured in my mind, I'd probably murmur, with very little surprise, "that's what I needed". Do you see how essential the complete situation is, in choosing your phrase?
    Good luck with your future enquiries Blush. This is a great forum and we hope you'll use us frequently.

blush

english-melayu
    mph.. let me check my perception about these two situations..

In the second situation we have known what exactly we are looking for.. But in the first situation, something that we are looking for is still vague.. Adding The word "just" is appropriate used for describe the first situation..

(Sorry,, my english is not so good.. I hope i can explain it corretly.. :p)

prof d'anglais

Your English is excellent Blush (just remember to capitalise the first letter when referring to language, nationality, first person singular, days and months).

I gave two quite specific examples but your situation maybe quite different. Can you explain, in more detail, why you would've wanted to say it, in the first place?

blush

english-melayu
    Thanks for remembering me.. :)
    Haha..
    Suddenly,I wanted to know about expression..So I ask if its correct or not to express that you have found something you need .. That's why I asked it.. :p

Am I still wrong to understand the situation?

by the way, I am so glad join this forum.. :)

prof d'anglais

Is that a correct sentence if you want to express that you have found something you need?
    thanks..
    Well actually we could apply it to your question in the forum. You asked, is your sentence correct. Had I've responded simply "Yes it is", you could've remarked "That's what I needed, no confusing explanations, only a simple response"...

Incidentally, did you receive my email regarding the Kingdom of Melayu?

blush

english-melayu
    Yes, I did..
    Do you get my replay??
    I don't know wheater that text delivered or not..
    I still don't know how to check sent massage..

Thank you very much for the explanation.. :)

< Previous | Next >