That's what makes life worthwhile

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Xavier da Silva, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Hello everyone,

Does "worthwhile" meaning "important, enjoyable, interesting, etc.; worth spending time, money, or effort on (Oxford)" sound natural/correct in the example I created below?

John: Hello, Mike. How are you? Mike: I'm great, thanks. John: It's good to see you here at our diner. Mike (eating the sandwich): This sandwich is great. That's what makes life worthwhile!

*In the dialogue above Mike likes this sandwich so much that he exaggerated a bit when talking about it to John.

Thank you in advance!

2. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    In this context 'enjoyable' is probably the best adjective, as it is referring to a delicious sandwich.

In another context, a different adjective could be better e.g.

Seeing the money I give to charity being used to help people makes life worthwhile (rewarding).
    I think reading a book is more worthwhile than playing a computer game (important)

3. dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    This says that eating a tasty sandwich makes "life" worthwhile. That is sarcasm. No-one would mean that literally. Eating a sandwich lasts for minutes. "Life" lasts for decades.

Maybe he had to walk or drive a distance to reach the diner. But the tasty sandwich made that trip "worthwhile".

Maybe the sandwich is more expensive than most sandwiches. But it is delicious and made the price "worthwhile" or "worth it".

But "life"?

4. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    I wouldn't call it sarcasm; I'd say it was humorous exaggeration (as Xavier originally suggested).

It would seem perfectly normal to me to sit down at the end of the day with a glass of wine, say, and sigh with satisfaction and say, 'Ahhh, a glass of wine after work, it's what makes life worthwhile.'

5. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I think what you're trying to say is, It's things like this that make life worthwhile!, not that one sandwich makes life worthwhile.

6. Chasint Senior Member

English - England
    Almost identical in meaning - It's things like this that make life worth living!

7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I like that even more! :)