(The/A) basket is set on the height of...

RafaelX

Polish
The basket is set on the height of:

Context: It is supposed to be a question for a sports quiz. I want to ask the contestants to choose from A, B, C or D. For example a) around 2 m, b) around 3 m, etc. I'm not sure which article to use here. I mean, I would go with "A" (since it's not any specific basket), but I want to be sure of my decision.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You've given some context, but not enough. What basket are you talking about? Where is it? Are there several? Can your quiz contestants see it? It seems to me that if your contestants are supposed to know its height, it must be specific.

"Set on the height" doesn't make sense. Can you explain what you mean?

MilkyBarKid

British English
    You haven't mentioned (to us at least), that the 'basket' is in a game of basketball. Perhaps this question is one of others relating to basketball, so that others in the quiz would know; and so 'the basket' would be appropriate.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    It's the basket in a basketball game, as opposed to a basket in which one carries laundry, gathers berries, or anything else. Therefore, it should be "the basket." (I assume you will state somewhere else that this question is about basketball, though I can't think of any other sport that involves baskets right now.)

However, the basket is set at a height, not on a height.

RafaelX

Polish
    Sorry, but I'm very tired and at the moment do not have enough energy for doing it right... So please excuse my carelessness in describing the context. Thanks to your comments, I've become aware there are many things which I could have put more clearly and in much more detail.

First of all, I mean a/the basket as in the game of basketball. The contestants know that the question refers to basketball and not to any other game in which there is a basket.

"Set on the height" - well, that's a direct translation from my native language (I've hoped it would work)... Will "How high is the basket?" be a better choice of a question?

RafaelX

Polish
    It's the basket in a basketball game, as opposed to a basket in which one carries laundry, gathers berries, or anything else. Therefore, it should be "the basket." (I assume you will state somewhere else that this question is about basketball, though I can't think of any other sport that involves baskets right now.)

However, the basket is set at a height, not on a height.
    Yes, thank you Egmont, you got it right. All right then, at a height! :)

< Previous | Next >