The abbreviation ح

Paxos

French
السلام عليكم

In a hadith : حدثنا محمد بن سنان هو العوقي قال حدثنا هشيم قال ح وحدثني سعيد بن النضر قال أخبرنا هشيم قال أخبرنا سيار قال حدثنا يزيد هو ابن صهيب الفقير قال أخبرنا جابر بن عبد الله

I read that ح is the abbreviation of حينَئِذٍ (then, alors/à ce moment-là), but what does this mean in the context of a hadith ?
Does this mean that there's two chains of narration :

حدثنا محمد بن سنان هو العوقي قال حدثنا هشيم قال أخبرنا سيار قال حدثنا يزيد هو ابن صهيب الفقير قال أخبرنا جابر بن عبد الله
and
? حدثني سعيد بن النضر قال أخبرنا هشيم قال أخبرنا سيار قال حدثنا يزيد هو ابن صهيب الفقير قال أخبرنا جابر بن عبد الله

شكرا مقدّما

Last edited:
  • Paxos

French
    Thank you.
    Heres's the link of the hadith : http://hadith.al-islam.com/Page.aspx?pageid=192&TOCID=236&BookID=24&PID=331

Could ح mean something else than footnote ? (and also, can someone confirm that it's also the abreviation of حينَئِذٍ ?)
    Because I heard in an audio version the ح pronounced. It seems to be placed to indicate a variant.

And if you look at another occurrence of it, you notice the same structure :

حدثنا يعقوب بن إبراهيم قال حدثنا ابن علية عن عبد العزيز بن صهيب عن أنس عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ح وحدثنا آدم قال حدثنا شعبة عن قتادة عن أنس قال

Last edited:

fdb

French (France)
    In both examples ح marks a variant, or a marginal gloss. In the old manuscripts this would have been written in the margin next to the main text, with the symbol ح marking either the beginning or the end of the حاشية . At some point in the textual history a scribe copied the gloss into the main text, retaining the marker ح .

I will not rule out the possibility that in some modern books حينَئِذٍ might be abbreviated as ح , but this would not happen in a classical text.

Last edited:

fdb

French (France)
    حدثنا محمد بن سنان هو العوقي قال حدثنا هشيم قال {{ ح وحدثني سعيد بن النضر قال أخبرنا هشيم قال }} أخبرنا سيار قال حدثنا يزيد هو ابن صهيب الفقير قال أخبرنا جابر بن عبد الله
    The words in brackets are the gloss.

< Previous | Next >