The Acropolis is the greatest building built/to have been built in ancient times.

< Previous | Next >

Karen123456

Malaysia English
The Acropolis is the greatest building built/to have been built in ancient times.

My daughter asked me which verb should be used. I think it should be to have been built. I don't think built is possible. Am I correct?

Thanks.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The Acropolis is a hill in Athens, not a building.:cool:

I disgree with the Newt on this:). For me, "...the greatest building to have been built" is not great, but it's preferable to "...the greatest building built". We avoid using adjacent words with the same root (They built erected the building. She drives up the drive gravel path.)

The Newt

English - US
    The Acropolis is a hill in Athens, not a building.:cool:

I disgree with the Newt on this:). For me, "...the greatest building to have been built" is not great, but it's preferable to "...the greatest building built". We avoid using adjacent words with the same root (They built erected the building. She drives up the drive gravel path.)
    Yes, on that point I agree. Grammatically, "built" is fine but stylistically another word would be better.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think others may disagree, but for me the combination of tenses in (3) is the most acceptable.

1 The Parthenon is the greatest building to be built in ancient times.

I don't think this can be correct, since the tenses seem to want to imply that the edifice has not been built yet.:confused:

2 The Parthenon was the greatest building to be built in ancient times.

The building was erected in antiquity, but it may no longer be standing

3 The Parthenon is the greatest building to have been built in ancient times.

The building still exists, and it was built in antiquity.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thanks a lot, Veli and HG. But I wanted to know why "X is the greatest monument built in ancient times" doesn't sound so good (as the "to have been" version)? Sorry to trouble you again.

Thanks a bunch.

< Previous | Next >