The Adam and Eve?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Are you sure you have copied the sentence correctly? I've found this one in the document you've linked to:

"Then Adam and Eve came out of the Cave of Treasures, and went near to the garden gate, and there they stood to look at it, and cried for having come away from it."

Edited to add: I searched farther and found the sentence you've quoted. I suspect "The" is a typographical error for "Then."

PeachYoghurt

Mandarin
    Are you sure you have copied the sentence correctly? I've found this one in the document you've linked to:

"Then Adam and Eve came out of the Cave of Treasures, and went near to the garden gate, and there they stood to look at it, and cried for having come away from it."
    Yes, please look at the first sentence of Chapter XVII - The Chapter of the Serpent.

PeachYoghurt

Mandarin
    I googled "the Adam and Eve", and found out it in " the Adam and Eve story" ," the Adam and Eve in the beginning ". I can understand "the Adam and Eve story", but not sure the latter one is ok or not.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I googled "the Adam and Eve", and found out it in " the Adam and Eve story" ," the Adam and Eve in the beginning ". I can understand "the Adam and Eve story", but not sure the latter one is ok or not.
    Please provide your source. Is this the sentence you found?

"This mankind will be a mankind who has been judged and chastised and will be a holy mankind, who will be different from the mankind in the beginning and can almost be said to be a different kind of men from the Adam and Eve in the beginning."

Source: Almighty God's Word Led Me Out of the Bondgae of Sin (III), by Li Xue

PeachYoghurt

Mandarin
    Please provide your source. Is this the sentence you found?

"This mankind will be a mankind who has been judged and chastised and will be a holy mankind, who will be different from the mankind in the beginning and can almost be said to be a different kind of men from the Adam and Eve in the beginning."

Source: Almighty God's Word Led Me Out of the Bondgae of Sin (III), by Li Xue
    Yes, it is. Is "the Adam and Eve in the beginning" grammatically correct?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It reads very awkwardly for me. It sounds as if someone has tried to make the language inclusive (therefore mankind rather than man, and Adam and Eve rather than just Adam), but hasn't done it consistently.

We can use the article with a proper noun if we are thinking of several versions of the same person, or several people who bear the same name. In the Bible, we read about the last Adam ('The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening [= life-giving] spirit' [1 Corinthians 15:45, Authorised Version]), and therefore people also talk about the first Adam. 'The first Adam' (the man who sinned) is contrasted to 'the last Adam' (Jesus); the article is used because there are two Adams referred to. The phrase in the text 'the Adam and Eve in the beginning' sounds like an adaptation of the phrase 'the first Adam'.

< Previous | Next >