the advance guard of a larger and even graver army

< Previous | Next >

elarca

spanish
Across the sun hurried a darkening filter of cloud; the advance guard of a larger and even graver army. The ripples on the water, chased by a freshening wind, pushed their way anxiously from the far side of the lake until they almost bounced at her feet.

• George French

English - UK
    Across the sun hurried a darkening filter of cloud; the advance guard of a larger and even graver army. The ripples on the water, chased by a freshening wind, pushed their way anxiously from the far side of the lake until they almost bounced at her feet.
    elarca,

What's your question?
    What is the source of your quote?

GF..

elarca

spanish
    Dear George French,
    I don´t know the source. I have to answer the question "what do you think the author means when s/he talks about "the advance guard of a larger and even graver army"?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Oh look! It's from here: http://short-stories.org.uk/jwthelover.htm it continues
    Quickly she gathered her things together and made for the cottage. But already the rain flecked the water behind her and pattered the leaves as she raced beneath the trees. Sodden and breathless, she ran for the cottage door, and, as she opened it ,the storm burst.
    Does that help?

elarca

spanish
    Does army mean here group of events or has the usual meaning? Perhaps I'll have to ask for help in the translation in spanish. thankyou very much. :)

Loob

English UK
    It has the usual meaning, but it's being used metaphorically: the author is talking figuratively about "an army of clouds".

(I find the adjective "graver" rather odd - but that's a different issue....)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In this context (of clouds, as is clear) it means that these small clouds come first and are followed by darker (graver) clouds, presaging rain, one suspects.

The talk of a freshening wind confirms this suspicion.

< Previous | Next >