The Alt-Right

< Previous | Next >

Abalord

Hebrew
Hello, everyone
I'm translating an article about the American alt-right, and there is a quote by Steve Banon that I can't figure out:

"The first order of business is to undo all the damage of globalism that allowed Silicon Valley and Wall Street and Hollywood and the Imperial Capital right here in Washington, DC and London and Beijing, and Davos, the party of Davos."

I can't understand the syntax of this sentence. what does "allowed" refer to? and what is an "Imperial Capital"?

• much_rice

English - American
    It's a poorly constructed sentence. My guess is that it was spoken and not written.

Bannon says the first order of business [of the alt-right?] is to undo "the damage of globalism" and then what follows are all the things that "globalism" allowed (=made an environment conducive to). Globalism, he seems to say, created a world that is ruled by Silicon Valley, Wall Street, Hollywood, DC, London, Beijing, and the kinds of people who attend the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

An imperial capital is the capital city of an empire, as London was during the British Empire or Byzantium in the latter days of the Roman Empire. Because the USA could be considered an empire, Bannon is calling the American capital city of Washington, DC, the "Imperial Capital."

EDIT: I should point out that, grammatically, the subject of the clause should be "the damage of globalism," but this makes no sense. It's not the damage that allowed these other places to rise in power, but globalism itself. In fact, I'm guessing that the whole rest of the sentence is a survey of the "damage" it caused. This slip of the tongue is common in speech, but unacceptable in writing.

EDIT 2: This sense of allow is #8 in the WR dictionary: verb intransitive to permit something to happen or to exist

Last edited:

Abalord

Hebrew
    Thank you very much!
    So in other words, he is saying that because of globalism, the common people are ruled like in the the days of empires, and they don't really have any freedom?

much_rice

English - American
    So in other words, he is saying that because of globalism, the common people are ruled like in the the days of empires, and they don't really have any freedom?
    That's a good guess, at least. It's hard to know what he means when most of the sentence is just a list of places he hates.

< Previous | Next >