The Americas

< Previous | Next >

Traduka

Spanish
Hi all,

Is the expression "the Americas" an informal way to refer to the American continent?

I'm trying to find a phrase that clarifies the idea that the people are from the American continent and not from the States.

Thank you!

• Tracer

American English
    "The Americas" means both North America and South (Latin) America. They are 2 continents. "The Americas" does not refer specifically to the USA only. It includes every country in the 2 continents.

NOTE: An "American" can technically mean any person from either continent. A Brazilian could be considered "an American". However, in normal usage - all over the world, I might add - if you say" "I'm (an) American", it's immediately taken to mean that you're from the USA.

lgr632525968

Chinese
    "The Americas" means both North America and South (Latin) America. They are 2 continents. "The Americas" does not refer specifically to the USA only. It includes every country in the 2 continents.
    I wonder if I can omit "the" and use "Americas" to refer to both North America and South America.

mplsray

I wonder if I can omit "the" and use "Americas" to refer to both North America and South America.
    Americas might appear as the title of an encyclopedia article. Wikipedia uses it that way here and also cites articles with the same name from The Columbia Gazetteer of the World Online and Encyclopaedia Britannica. But in the article itself, the appears with Americas consistently. So, no, I would not consider it correct to use Americas in place of the Americas.

< Previous | Next >