the/an important means of reunion

Chazzwozzer

Turkish
The Garlic Festival is _____ important means of reunion in Taşköprü besides being an entertainment.

I say that an must be used here but my teachers insists on the. I'm kind of familiar with the usage of this expession but I cannot explain my answer to her in a grammatical way, so I think it's better to ask this question here.

• timpeac

English (England)
    Only "an" is correct here. Is it time for a new teacher, Chazzwozzer?? "The" would suggest it is the only important means of reunion which would therefore require "most".

The garlic festival is the most important means...

is correct.

spielenschach

Portugal . Portuguese
    The Garlic Festival is _____ important means of reunion in Taşköprü besides being an entertainment.

I say that an must be used here but my teachers insists on the. I'm kind of familiar with the usage of this expession but I cannot explain my answer to her in a grammatical way, so I think it's better to ask this question here.
    The Garlic Festival is a fundraising event that is held on the Isle of Wight.
    For 21 years, since 1985, the Newchurch Parish Sports & Community Association organised the annual Garlic Festival, achieving their major fund raising aims.

Chazzwozzer

Turkish
    Only "an" is correct here. Is it time for a new teacher, Chazzwozzer?? "The" would suggest it is the only important means of reunion which would therefore require "most".

The garlic festival is the most important means...

is correct.
    She's actually the best of all the teachers Ministry of Education has ever appointed for my classroom! Oh, well. :D

Thank you timepac, now I've got someting to tell for her. :)

For 21 years, since 1985, the Newchurch Parish Sports & Community Association organised the annual Garlic Festival, achieving their major fund raising aims.
    And....?

Taşköprü, whose economy relies on garlic, is a district of Kastamonu, Turkey and it's famous for its Garlic Festival that takes place every year. I didn't know there was another Garlic Festival on the Isle of Wight, good to know that.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I'm almost tempted to suggest that the teacher is being snide, or attempting to denigrate Taşköprü by denying that there is any other occasion of reunion there.

JamesM

(There are many garlic festivals. There is a massive one in Gilroy, California that is often televised (2005 Attendance 129,644 ). Here is their website:

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com)

"An" seems much more appropriate here, unless this is the only important means of reunion offered to the people of Taşköprü . Even then, the sentence is describing the characteristics of the festival, not the life of the town. I would use "an".

Chazzwozzer

Turkish
    I'm almost tempted to suggest that the teacher is being snide, or attempting to denigrate Taşköprü by denying that there is any other occasion of reunion there.
    Excellent! :D

"An" seems much more appropriate here, unless this is the only important means of reunion offered to the people of Taşköprü . Even then, the sentence is describing the characteristics of the festival, not the life of the town. I would use "an".
    Thanks, James. :)

I appreciate you guys.

spielenschach

Portugal . Portuguese
    She's actually the best of all the teachers Ministry of Education has ever appointed for my classroom! Oh, well. :D

Thank you timepac, now I've got someting to tell for her. :)

And....?

Taşköprü, whose economy relies on garlic, is a district of Kastamonu, Turkey and it's famous for its Garlic Festival that takes place every year. I didn't know there was another Garlic Festival on the Isle of Wight, good to know that.
    ok

< Previous | Next >