the appearance of design is overwhelming

Darjana

Russian
Could you help me?
I am confused by the meaning of expression "the appearance of design" in the article.

Maybe it means: divine plan, divine purpose?
I.e. "the appearance of design is overwhelming" = "divine plan is astounding"?
=*=

Context:
"My ASU colleague Paul Davies may have said that “the appearance of design is overwhelming”, but his statement should not be misinterpreted. The appearance of design of life on Earth is also overwhelming, but we now understand, thanks to Charles Darwin that the appearance of design is not the same as design, it is in fact a remnant of the remarkable efficiency of natural selection."

( Claim: "Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God." • Skeptical Science )

• grassy

Polish
    The appearance that the world was designed is overwhelming. By merely looking at things, without having the kind of knowledge Darwin gave us, it would be reasonable to conclude that the world has a designer.

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Design" here means "having been designed", which in turn implies a designer, and it is the existence of a designer - a divine being, in this case - that is ultimately what is being discussed here. "Design" in this quote is the opposite of randomness.

"The appearance of design" says that it appears that there is design. What we perceive is what we might expect to see if the world (or whatever Paul Davies had been discussing) had been designed.

Darjana

Russian
    grassy, thanks a lot for your explanation :)

The appearance that the world has a divine purpose is overwhelming. By merely looking at things, without having the kind of knowledge Darwin gave us, it would be reasonable to conclude that the world has a designer.

< Previous | Next >