The athlete's foot

< Previous | Next >

timpeac

English (England)
Now, this is the name of a US sports shoeshop. Until very recently I thought this was a purely French chain, and put the name down to a joke that had misfired or a genuine error by non-native speakers.

However, I am gobsmacked to find out that this is a genuine US chain.:eek:

Does that name not make you think straight away of "athlete's foot" the disease? Is it a deliberate joke? I just can't imagine anyone thinking that that is a good name to call a shoe shop - or am I alone in thinking that?

• GenJen54

USA - English
    You probably are not alone, but the chain has been around for years and has been quite successful.

I guess there is a difference between "The Athlete's Foot" and just "Athlete's Foot." This is definitely a case where the article makes a major difference.

Kelly B

USA English
    I love the word gobsmacked. Americans should use it far more often.

I suppose I have to talk about fungus now, too, right? Blech.
    Yes, it's a genuine name for an American chain founded in 1971 in Pennsylvania, and yes, it sounds awful to me too. I don't know what they were thinking, but they have a really cool logo :rolleyes: and apparently it is quite a successful franchise.
    No, I have never taken off my shoes in there.

You know, Timpeac, they might just be in the market for dynamic individuals in your own neighborhood - you, too, could be the proud owner of an Athlete's Foot.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Two minutes ago, I had never heard of this chain.
    Two minutes ago, I knew nothing about who sells sports shoes in France and in the US.
    Now I know that there are shops in France and the US that sell sportswear, called The Athlete's Foot.

Smart name, or what!

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    My situation coincides with Panj's. I had never heard of this chain, and the first thing I thought of was, indeed, the skin condition. :eek:

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    GenJen54 said:
    I guess there is a difference between "The Athlete's Foot" and just "Athlete's Foot." This is definitely a case where the article makes a major difference.
    Agreed, Gen. It's never struck me as that odd. The Jock Itch, however, would definitely be a bad idea. :p

Elizabeth

timpeac

English (England)
    TrentinaNE said:
    Agreed, Gen. It's never struck me as that odd. The Jock Itch, however, would definitely be a bad idea. :p

Elizabeth
    yeuegh!:D

I am coming to the idea that "the athlete's foot" does sound strange to many people, but that many of you have become quite used to it because of the shop being so popular.

I still can't imagine sitting round the table brainstorming the name of my new sports shop and coming up with that baby though;)

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Indeed - and most irritable conditions can best be treated with an application of whimsy.
    I'm tickled by the name. Indeed I must start a thread so we can all contribute our personal favourites.

cesarini

Spanish Nicaragua
    Now, that's something to talk about!!
    It is interesting to see the names people come up with nowadays. I just hope it does not come to Nicaragua. :eek: hehehehehe!!!

j0ckser

Canadian English/Canada
    I had never heard of it either. It is most certainly a play on words, and would quickly get the point across - certainly in USA and Canada; don't know about the rest of the world. Sometimes idiosyncratic phrases like that don't come across well even in other "English-speaking" countries.

nycphotography

American English
    There's another thread about clever shop names... which mostly ended up dealing with hair dressers... and maybe strip joints. But I can't seem to find it just now.

HEY! Why come my search button ain't be showing up today?!

< Previous | Next >