the atlas of human body

carmen_85

Polish-English
Hello,

I found an interesting sentence "The atlas of normal and pathological images of the ear, acquired by the computed tomography method", and I wonder in what context the word ATLAS is used here. Am I right it is the collection of images of the ear? Is the sentence gramatically correct, because I founf it on a forum?

Thank you very much for your help :)

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Yes, that's what "atlas" means - a collection of images, but not just any images. They must be images that give people information about a topic. One would not refer to "an atlas of Rembrandt's paintings." This sentence seems correct to me, though many people would capitalize the first letters of Computed Tomography.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    An atlas is a collection of maps, charts, illustrations and diagrams on a specific subject, and as such it is used in many other contexts than geography, which is probably where must of us become familiar with an atlas during our early school years. There are atlases of the human body/of human anatomy, of blood diseases, the universe, of world history etc. etc. They’re typically ‘picture books’ with little text.

@Egmont: In the abbreviated form of the word ‘a CT scan’, the letters ‘CT’ are obviously capitalized, but in ‘computed tomography’ written out they’re usually not (unless it’s part of a title, of course).:)

Bic.

< Previous | Next >