the author presumes a certain level of inside knowledge

joanvillafane

U.S. English
Hi everybody - I'm working on an essay about a text - (I Giorni Veri, di Giovanna Zangrande) - and I've run into some problems with this sentence. I want to say that the language and the style of writing has the feel of coded information, written for members of a select group. (This is explained in another part of my text for which I may come back to the WR Forum for help in another thread.)

The author presumes a certain level of inside knowledge on the part of the reader......

La scrittrice presume un certo livello di conoscenza privilegiata? diretta? da parte del lettore.....

there's a bit more, but I'll open another thread. I'm particularly interested in whether "presume" is used correctly here and the best way to express "inside knowledge."

Thanks!

• TheNameOfAWind

Italian
    Hi Joan,

"presume" is perfectly fine, but maybe I'd say "presuppone" which is slightly stronger (but that could be my own impression).
    Unless the author appears to be positive about the insight knowledge; in that case I'd say "dà per scontato un certo livello di conoscenza diretta...".

I thinnk that "conoscenza diretta" works better: "conoscenza privilegiata" (I presume you read the other thread where some one suggested it as a translation) is way more formal and fits better for business, marketing, trades, etc.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Thank you very much. I didn't think of "dà per scontato" and I think I'll use that.
    and yes, I always check the other threads first, but I know that a different context may change the answer. Thanks again!

Hi Joan, as we are talking about coded information and members of a select group, you mignt also want to consider using the expression conoscenza iniziatica for inside knowledge, though this may be too strong for the context. Unfortunately I haven't read this book...:eek:

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Thanks a lot, chip! I never heard that word, so I did some searching. It seems to have a very particular technical meaning (which I can't say I fully understand). I found this:
    http://www.esonet.org/index.php/antroposofia/29-studi-sulle-opere-di-rudolf-steiner/267-conoscenza-iniziatica

I don't know if it applies to my context. Questo libro è il diario di una donna di una brigata partegiana. Volevo esprimere l'idea che il lettore ha la sensazione di sentirsi parte del gruppo clandestino.
    Yes, I suspected it could be too strong as a term. It is actually more suitable to describe the inside knowledge of the members of a sect than that of an insurrectional group, as your link seems to suggest. The adjectives iniziatico may actually be used in a figurative, intentionally exaggerated, way, but I don't honestly think this may be the case.

Pietruzzo

Italian
    Questo libro è il diario di una donna di una brigata partegiana(partigiana). Volevo esprimere l'idea che il lettore ha la sensazione di sentirsi parte del gruppo clandestino.
    I think you should make clear if you're speaking of a real knoledge or an emotional involvement. In the latter case we could say something like"L'autrice presume un certo livello di coinvolgimento(partecipazione) personale da parte del lettore"

Pietruzzo

Italian
    I think Joan already made it amply clear in the original post. ;)

Inside knowledge is a far cry from emotional involvement, wouldn't you agree? :)
    Joan said:
    Volevo esprimere l'idea che il lettore ha la sensazione di sentirsi parte del gruppo clandestino.
    So.. Does the author presume the reader has been a "real" partisan or not? I think only a partisan could have an "inside knoledge"

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    So.. Does the author presume the reader has been a "real" partisan or not? I think only a partisan could have an "inside knoledge"
    You might find your answer in the OP:
    the language and the style of writing has the feel of coded information, written for members of a select group
    The author seems to credit the reader with knowledge of the inner workings and lingo of a partisan unit.

PS: knowledge, not knoledge (as it is spelled in both of your posts) ;)

< Previous | Next >