The Babylon of XYZ

tyneoh

Chinese
Hi everyone, I have a question to ask. Is the metaphor " The Babylon of XYZ " acceptable to you? Please review its usage in the following sentence: " Paris is regarded as the Babylon of Love for all couples." Thanks in advance :)

• tyneoh

Chinese
    I wish to portray Paris as an epitome of romance, given its rich architecture and culture that encourage love and affection.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    What significance do you think Babylon has? I can see no way that describing somewhere as the Babylon of love could be a useful or meaningful analogy.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I would definitely avoid Babylon; it does not mean "an epitome of romance, given its rich architecture and culture that encourage love and affection."

Fredictionary:

Babylon [ˈbæbɪlən]n1. (Placename) the chief city of ancient Mesopotamia: first settled around 3000 bc See also Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    2. (Christianity / Protestantism) Derogatory (in Protestant polemic) the Roman Catholic Church, regarded as the seat of luxury and corruption
    3. (Sociology) Derogatory any society or group in a society considered as corrupt or as a place of exile by another society or group, esp White Britain as viewed by some West Indians

tyneoh

Chinese
    I would definitely avoid Babylon; it does not mean "an epitome of romance, given its rich architecture and culture that encourage love and affection."

Fredictionary:

Babylon[ˈbæbɪlən]n1. (Placename) the chief city of ancient Mesopotamia: first settled around 3000 bc See also Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    2. (Christianity / Protestantism) Derogatory (in Protestant polemic) the Roman Catholic Church, regarded as the seat of luxury and corruption
    3. (Sociology) Derogatory any society or group in a society considered as corrupt or as a place of exile by another society or group, esp White Britain as viewed by some West Indians
    HMMM... then I guess it is unsuitable to be used. What word do you think best conveys my meaning? Mecca perhaps?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here is our dictionary's definition of Mecca:

(a Mecca) a place which attracts people of a particular group or with a particular interest.
    – origin from the city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, considered by Muslims to be the holiest city of Islam.

It seems to me to fit. Others may wish to add their comments. :)

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I would only use 'Mecca' if I was stressing its ability to draw people in, as per a pilgrimage destination.
    Thus Paris' status as a 'romantic destination' could, I suppose, be encapsulated by the phrase 'Mecca of romance'; I'd also presume that is how others would understand it.
    The phrase, though, would not, in my opinion, express the idea of Paris as the paragon of romance.
    Is it important that you use a City name?

tyneoh

Chinese
    I would only use 'Mecca' if I was stressing its ability to draw people in, as per a pilgrimage destination.
    Thus Paris' status as a 'romantic destination' could, I suppose, be encapsulated by the phrase 'Mecca of romance'; I'd also presume that is how others would understand it.
    The phrase, though, would not, in my opinion, express the idea of Paris as the paragon of romance.
    Is it important that you use a City name?
    Not really, my main objective is to add a certain poetic flair to this sentence as I am writing a composition about Paris.

< Previous | Next >