the bad opinion Bessie and Miss Abbot were disposed to entertain of me

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The context below comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 2

"Take her away to the red-room, and lock her in there." Four hands were immediately laid upon me, and I was borne upstairs.

I resisted all the way: a new thing for me, and a circumstance which greatly strengthened the bad opinion Bessie and Miss Abbot were disposed to entertain of me. The fact is, I was a trifle beside myself; or rather OUT of myself, as the French would say: I was conscious that a moment's mutiny had already rendered me liable to strange penalties, and, like any other rebel slave, I felt resolved, in my desperation, to go all lengths.
===
Hi everyone! I'm not sure about the meaning of the bold part. I understand it as "the bad opinion (that) Bessie and Miss Abbot were disposed to entertain (that) of me", i.e. "the bad personal appraisal (that) Bessie and Miss Abbot were inclined to hold in mind (that) of me". Is it correct?

• Yes, you may paraphrase as "the bad personal appraisal that B and Miss A were inclined to hold in their minds, of me."
    In simple terms, the misbehavior strengthened the view [in those two] of Jane as low life, unruly, disrespectful.

I am not sure why you put a 'that' before 'of me'; it's a mistake that confuses the picture.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, you seem to understand it correctly. :)

Entertain can mean:
    to admit into or hold in the mind; consider [~ + object]
    to entertain an idea.

Cross-posted.

The first 'that' you inserted is OK, if it helps you understand; it's optional. The second 'that' indicates a misreading of the structure.

Here is a simplified example. My mistake strengthened the bad opinion [that] my teacher had [X] of me.

The first 'that' is OK, but inserting 'that' at point [X] breaks up the phrase "opinion ...of me".

Thank you both. :D

It's just many Chinese English-learners' habit of interpreting "attributive clause". Hmm...I will correct it. :idea:

< Previous | Next >