the band it is said are/is...

meneiggles

español de España
Hello. This is a question taken from an FCE official sample:

Everyone says that the band is planning to go on a world tour next year.
SAID
The band ........................................planning to go on a world tour next year.

I thought the only possibility here was:
The band are/is said to be planning to go on a world tour next year.

But according to the key, this is also acceptable:
The band it is said are/is planning to go on a world tour next year.

My understanding was that in these passive structures built around a reporting verb, as long as the subject is not IT, an infinitive, and not a "that clause" is needed, and this seems to contradict my knowledge in this point.

• Myridon

English - US
    The band, it is said, is planning to go on a world tour next year.
    is grammatically correct, however "it is said" is a parenthetical addition. "Said" has not been used as the main verb of the sentence so I doubt that the sentence is really an acceptable answer. You could put almost anything if that is the case.
    The band (I know this is true because my friend said so) is planning...

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The obvious answer to the test question, I would say is:
    "The band are/is said to be planning to go on a world tour next year."

The suggested alternative of:
    "The band, it is said, are/is planning to go on a world tour next year." in my view requires the addition of commas to separate the 'aside' from the main body of the sentence and my understanding was that in these test questions you're not supposed to add punctuation which wasn't there in the original sentence. :confused:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    These are the possible answers the key provides:
    are/is said|to be OR it is said|are/is
    I don't understand the choices in the key - you have used | and / (or perhaps the test question has used them) in a confusing manner. :(
    The sentence reads "the band is planning to go". They have already decided that "band" refers to the entity, not the collected members, so there should be no option of "are" in the answer.:oops:

meneiggles

español de España
    Well, I copied that from the key so apparently both are acceptable at a FCE level :confused:

* | separates "segments" of grammar for assessment purposes
    / separates valid alternatives

< Previous | Next >