The Barbie-doll-sized rat stared up at us.

< Previous | Next >

Nightowll

Italian
When I was young, my friend had a rat and his sister had a Barbie doll, which happened to be about the same size. We were playing in my friend's room when I noticed his rat was staring up at us on the bed next to the Barbie doll.

The Barbie-doll-sized rat stared up at us.

The Barbie doll-sized rat stared up at us.

(Later I almost grabbed the rat once by mistake, thinking it was the Barbie doll I was seeing out of the corner of my eye.)

Is the hyphen between Barbie and doll necessary?

• Loob

English UK
    I would say so, Nightowll: I'd write Barbie-doll-sized rat, as in your first example.

ewie

English English
    I agree with Mrs Loob.

You don't have to include the word doll, though. Barbie is so well-know that no-one (in their right mind) is going to think you're referring to anything other than a doll, so The Barbie-sized rat stared up at us.

TODAY'S CHALLENGE Name one real-life-living-human-being-person on Planet Earth who chooses to be called 'Barbie'. Sexual deviants don't count:rolleyes:

Nightowll

Italian
    I took on the challenge :D I found names used on Planet Earth ... No one would think of Klaus Barbie (Gestapo officer) or Barbie Wilde (actress) when I say Barbie. Oh, and they perhaps didn't choose their own names.

< Previous | Next >