the basic skills of bee raising

< Previous | Next >

arueng

CHINESE
As soon as I have a large piece of land in a hill, I'll learn the basic skills of bee raising from my brother-in-law.

Hi,

Is it idiomatic to say the above, especially the bold part? Is it also right to say "the abc of bee raising," and "bee raising 101?" Thanks.

• Bigote Blanco

As soon as I have a large piece of land in a hill, I'll learn the basic skills of bee raising from my brother-in-law.

Hi,

Is it idiomatic to say the above, especially the bold part? Is it also right to say "the abc of bee raising," and "bee raising 101?" Thanks.
    Hellow Arueng,

One can say: I'll learn the basic skills of raising bees..
    I'll learn the basic skills of beekeeping....
    I hope this helps.
    Bigote

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, GWB, for the correction.

So, is it idiomatic to say "the abc of beekeeping," and "beekeeping 101?"

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with GWB (post #2).

You could certainly refer to the basic skills of beekeeping as the abc's (not "the abc") of beekeeping. "Beekeeping 101" would not be appropriate.

arueng

CHINESE
    I agree with GWB (post #2).

You could certainly refer to the basic skills of beekeeping as the abc's (not "the abc") of beekeeping. "Beekeeping 101" would not be appropriate.
    Thanks, Parla, for the confirmation.

But I still don't know why it's "the abc's of beekeeping." Does it stand for "the abc's skills of beekeeping?"

Copyright

American English
    The abc's of a subject refers to the basic knowledge of a subject, just as A-B-C are where you start to learn the entire alphabet.

From the WR dictionary: abc: the rudiments of a subject.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's as Copyright explains. And "the abc's" in "the abc's of beekeeping", in case you're wondering why it's not "abc", is a plural, not a possessive. We use the apostrophe in a nonstandard way when we make plurals from letters of the alphabet. Normally, a plural is formed by simply adding the letter "s". But if we did this with abc ("abcs"), it would seem to be a word, which would confuse the reader. So we add an apostrophe. We do this with single letters as well ("she got all A's on her report card").

< Previous | Next >