the bean

LinguaFan

Russia
Hello everyone,

would you correct anything in this sentence, or is it ok like this?

The bean may be used as an ingredient for pasta sauce, cooked with other vegetables, cooked as a main course (especially according to traditional south Italian recipes).

Thank you

• awillia

USA-Amerenglish
    I would write:
    The bean may be used as an ingredient in pasta sauce, cooked with other vegetables, or cooked as a main course (especially according to traditional south Italian recipes).

Any other opinions out there?

Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    Beans (collective noun...it just sounds a bit funny to me to say "the bean") may be used as an ingredient in pasta sauce, cooked with other vegetables, or cooked as a main course (especially according to traditional south Italian recipes).

tomandjerryfan

English (Canada)
    Beans (collective noun...it just sounds a bit funny to me to say "the bean") may be used as an ingredient in pasta sauce, cooked with other vegetables, or cooked as a main course (especially according to traditional south Italian recipes).
    I have the hunch that "beans" would change the original meaning to imply beans in general. If the writer is talking about a specific type of bean, it sounds perfectly normal to my ears to say "the bean."

sloopjc

UK English
    There are dozens of varieties of beans, as there are other vegetables. Some vegetables can be termed singularly, i.e. the potato, the carrot etc. I would suggest the collective noun beans too, if not because of the confusion that may arise from the bean eaten as the whole pod, and the beans extracted from pods.

mrbilal87

English (NAmE)
    Hi,

I agree with both sloopjc and t&jfan but I would join both your points and say "the beans." To me as well it seems the writer is intending to refer to a specific type of bean.

Cheers!

Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    If the writer said something about a specific type of beans before, then I would agree with "the beans." "Beans" would be beans in general.

LinguaFan

Russia
    I have the hunch that "beans" would change the original meaning to imply beans in general. If the writer is talking about a specific type of bean, it sounds perfectly normal to my ears to say "the bean."
    Yes, thank you, the idea was exactly a particular kind of bean.

AWordLover

USA English
    Hello everyone,

would you correct anything in this sentence, or is it ok like this?

The bean may be used as an ingredient for pasta sauce, cooked with other vegetables, cooked as a main course (especially according to traditional south Italian recipes).

Thank you
    If you were writing about lima beans you could say.

Lima beans may be used as ...

So I agree it would be best as the following.

The beans may be used as ...

< Previous | Next >