The bed was comfortable in which I slept last night.

Curiosity777

Korean
The bed was comfortable in which I slept last night.

I know the normal sentence construction is "The bed in which I slept last night was comfortable", but what I want to know is whether it's acceptable to place the bold part behind "comfortable" as well to emphasize "the bed was comfortable" and if it's just plainly wrong, whether even native speakers sometimes make such a mistake.

• Loob

English UK
    A native speaker might chose an unusual form of words for a particular purpose - in which case it would not be "a mistake".

Curiosity777

Korean
    A native speaker might chose an unusual form of words for a particular purpose - in which case it would not be "a mistake".
    So do you think the sentence is grammatically acceptable if the bold part is intentionally positioned backwards?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm happy to call it plain wrong because that's how I'd mark it in an exam. I think it's unlikely a native speaker would come out with such a sentence. What is likely is reduction of the relative to give
    "The bed I slept in last night was comfortable"
    To emphasise 'comfortable' we would add an intensifier like 'really' or 'most' before comfortable.

< Previous | Next >