the belief in supernaturalism , 'which' is absolutely universal - antecedent of 'which'?

< Previous | Next >

wjddms

S.Korea. Korean
This is quite a complex phrase to me, and I have trouble with figuring out the exact meaning of it.
Could you help me out?

His urge for self-preservation will not down, nor will that of the illiterate peoples of the world, and
in that overpowering will to live is anchored the belief in supernaturalism , which is absolutely universal among known peoples, past and present.

In my guess, ' which' refers to 'the belief in supernaturalism'. Is it right?

Thanks all the time^^

• Perseas

I think "which" refers to the fact that the belief in supernaturalism is anchored in that overpowering will. In other words, what is "absolutely universal among known peoples" is that they believe that their overpowering will to live derives from their belief in supernaturalism.

Grady412

English - US
    I didn't see it that way. To me, the belief in supernaturalism is universal among "known peoples," whatever that means.

I can see why these complex, ambiguous sentences are used as teaching tools, but I do hope that students are also taught the advantages of short, concise sentences in many situations.

Andygc

British English
    In my guess, ' which' refers to 'the belief in supernaturalism'. Is it right?
    Your guess is not a guess, but is an accurate analysis of the construction of the sentence. Despite the subsequent philosophical debate in the thread, the answer is "yes, it is right".

wjddms

S.Korea. Korean
    Thanks a lot for all the kind replies. I also want to read simple and concise sentences.^^

< Previous | Next >