The best player on/in the team

• When I was at school I was in the Hockey 1st 11 team. When a match was due the headmistress would say at morning assembly 'The following girls will be in the team for the match against .......... next Monday.'

Special points were awarded after the match for the player considered to be 'the best in the team'.

Some football matches are shown on TV in England and viewers are invited at the end to vote for 'Man of the Match' = best player in the team.

:)

sound shift

English - England
    In yesterday's documentary about the making of the UK television series "University Challenge", the students and the production staff who spoke to the camera all said "on the team". That's not what I grew up with, though.

mr cat

English - England
    In yesterday's documentary about the making of the UK television series "University Challenge", the students and the production staff who spoke to the camera all said "on the team". That's not what I grew up with, though.
    I think though that with team sports in the UK, 'in the team' would still be used. Thinking (way) back I would have been 'on' the school chess team but 'in' the football team, but don't ask me why!

Grefsen

English - United States
    I think though that with team sports in the UK, 'in the team' would still be used.
    Here in the U.S. I can't think of any examples in sports where we would use "best player in the team."

Thinking (way) back I would have been 'on' the school chess team but 'in' the football team, but don't ask me why!
    That's interesting to know that at one point in time in the UK a distinction was made between chess and football teams. I'm not sure if that was also the case here in the U.S. if you go far enough back in time, but at least during the 21st century you would use 'on' for both the school chess team as well as the school football team.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >